After the fall of Melaka from the Portuguese to the Dutch on 14 January 1641, new measures were taken to ensure the safety of Melaka. The Dutch fortified the walls of Melaka city, which further strengthened the existing city’s defences left by the Portuguese.
The Dutch still received threats from outsiders and locals in a bid to wrestle back the city of Melaka. The fortification of the city’s walls involved the building of a bastion or control tower strategically located at the mouth of Melaka River, the focal point for trade and stopover for international ships.
The building of a bastion, known as Middleburg was carried out by the Dutch in 1660. This new control tower added to the existing bastions of Melaka city to nine. The defences of the city became strengthened with this new bastion as it regulated the area surrounding Melaka River, busy with shipping and trading activities at the time. The existing defence system with bastion provided cannon support to the military. It proved a vital factor in overcoming unseen threats.
The distance to Melaka from Kuala Lumpur using the North-South Expressway is two hours. This building is located opposite the entrance to St. Paul’s Hill, and is easy to find as it is located in the middle of the Melaka city centre.
Who To Contact
Jabatan Warisan Negara Zon Selatan
En.Mat Nasir Bin Baba (Ketua Zon)
Perzim Tuan Hj.Khamis
Tourism Information Centre